Friday, November 19, 2010

Italian sausage mashed potato pie

This was not one of my favorite things to make.  I think I've made it before and thought the same thing, but it looks like it would be good in the picture.  (not my picture - one problem is I can't ever get it out of the pan looking like anything but a mess. I also wasn't a fan of the flavor of the sausage with the plain pizza sauce.  I did use our chicken sausage, but it has been good in other things.  I just think I don't like the combination of flavors on this one.  Maybe making it with hamburger instead of sausage, or a homemade sauce rather than bottled, but more than anything, this is to remind me not to be swayed by the picture and make this again without some changes. (yet another sad picture.  I really ought to get my camera fixed.)

Ingredients

  • 1 pouch (from 7.2 oz. box) roasted garlic mashed potatoes
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 lb milk Italian sausage
  • 1 medium onion, chopped 1/2 cup
  • 1 cup tomato pasta sauce (I used a marinara)
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (I didn't measure)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 375.  Spray a 9 inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.  Cook 1 pouch potatoes as directed on box - except use 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup water - omit margarine.  After 5 minute stand time, stir in eggs.  Spread cooked potatoes in bottom and up sides of pie plate, forming a crust.
  2. Meanwhile, cook sausage and onion in a skillet until no longer pink;  drain.  Stir in pasta sauce and Italian seasoning.  Reduce heat to low; cook about 2 minutes stirring occasionally, until hot.  Pour into potato-lined pie plate.
  3. Bake about 25 minutes or until crust edges just begin to turn golden brown.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake about 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails