Thursday, March 1, 2012

light cheese tortellini with broccoli

This was a super simple recipe from a book I got at Christmas called The Six O'Clock Scramble by Aviva Goldfarb.  I should remember to make tortellini more often.  I buy the tri-colored cheese ones at Costco and not only are they a super simple meal, but everyone loves them.  I made this using all things I had on hand.  LOVE that.  I  got 2 heads of broccoli from bountiful baskets this week and thought this was a great way to use them.  I didn't have any onion and had to use dehydrated.  I'd definitely use a regular onion next time to add a bit more flavor, but this was still good. I like that everyone ate well - even the little ones because they love tortellini.

Ingredients

  • 1 large package tortellini (mine was a 7 serving size)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon butter
  • 1/4-1/2 cup diced onion -I used dehydrated and therefore used a bit less.  I did rehydrate them so I could saute them.
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 heads broccoli, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups broth (I used chicken because it is what I had on hand use vegetable to make this vegetarian)
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese for serving
Directions
  1. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until fragrant.  Add broccoli, broth, and pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until the pasta is done and rinsed.)
  3. Drain pasta and add to the pan.  Stir to combine and serve.  Top with Parmesan cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails