Thursday, March 1, 2012

Yellow fruit and veggie pop

Yesterday I don't know what possessed me to decide to spend so much time in the kitchen - withdrawals maybe.  It was fun, and I made some good stuff, but man I don't like the clean up.  :)
First I had promised Benjamin and Aaron that we would make Popsicles.  It had warmed up this week, we were out of frozen treats, and I really didn't feel like buying something store bought because I'm trying to be more healthy and eat less processed foods.....  So, I let the boys pick a popsicle out of my Ice pop Joy book.  Luckily Benjamin picked the yellow goodness pop.  I had wanted to make this pop because it used cantaloupe and mango - both of which I got in my bountiful basket this weekend.  It called for sparkling water - which I had purchased at costco in the morning, and a yellow squash (really making me want to try this - which I had bought in the afternoon.  (Can you tell I wanted to make this pop too - I was sooo glad he picked it.)  
I have not tasted this as a pop, but I did take a sip of the "smoothie" and it was quite good. (That is saying something because I'm not a huge fan of cantaloupe - juiced anyway, I'm also not a huge fan of sparkling water.) Benjamin had a whole cup of the smoothie and drank it down.  He had a pop for breakfast this morning and ate most of it.  I liked the mix of flavors which like I said, surprised me.  I also liked the little bite the sparkling water gave it.  Altogether it made a pretty, tasty, healthy pop.  I'd definitely make this one again. I've also thought of just making this as a smoothie.

Ingredients
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • 1/2 cantaloupe, scooped from shell and cut into chunks
  • 1 cup chopped mango (this was probably 2/3 of my rather large mango)
  • 2 cups sparkling water (any flavor -I found a lemon at costco that was just water and natural flavor - no sweeteners or salt.)
  • 1/4 cup raw agave nectar
Directions
  1. Put all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.  
  2. Pour into molds, add sticks and freeze until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails