Saturday, September 11, 2010

Orange Barley chicken

This is the final recipe from my cooking day on Thursday.  Luckily, the bread I made was my very favorite bread recipe from our blog, so no writing it down.  I love that stuff.
This recipe originally worried me to try because it used 2 things I don't use a lot of - barley and parsnips.  I don't think I have ever used parsnips.  Honestly I was a bit afraid of them.  I thought they were going to be like a turnip or something, and in my head are like radishes.  Anyway, parsnips are just like a strong carrot.  Not bad at all.  Barley I have used in vegetable beef soup, and I have some barley that I have ground and used as barley flour and rolled and used in oatmeal, but I haven't done a meal where the barley was used more like a rice.  The recipe called for pearl barley but when I got mine out, it looked like it could have had weevil or something because it was all powdery.  (I have had it for 2-3 years at least. - shows how much I use barley.)  So, I scrapped the pearl barley and used  my other barley.  I was afraid since mine was not pearled that it would take longer to cook, so I rolled it.  Then I was afraid it would cook too fast so I added it after 20 minutes.  The chicken was already done at that time, and the barley only took about 8-10 minutes to cook (maybe even less, but that is when I checked on it.)  It turned out great.  I liked the flavors.  Loved the orange juice, and even liked the parsnips.  Again it was another healthy recipe from Healthy cooking magazine.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 boiler/fryer chicken (3-4 lbs.) cut up and skin removed (I used 3-4 lbs of chicken legs, skinned)
  • 2 teaspoons oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (I diced)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 3 cups orange juice
  • 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups medium pearl barley (I used rolled - see above)
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
  • 2 bay leaves
Directions
  1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, celery salt pepper.  Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
  2. In a Dutch oven, brown chicken in oil in batches.  (I had to use more that 2 teaspoons.  I started with about that, eyeballed amount, but after the first batch, too much flour was sticking so I added another teaspoon or so.)  Remove and keep warm.  In the same pan, saute onion in butter until tender.  Add broth, orange juice, parsnips, barley (I added this later) mushrooms, carrots, bay leaves and chicken.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender, turning chicken occasionally.  (I boiled for 20 minutes, added the barley, the chicken was done at this point, so I just boiled for 8-10 more until the barley was done and it was ready lots quicker.)
  3. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes.  Discard bay leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails