Sunday, September 26, 2010

Caramel pecan light ice cream

Not so sure that this can be called light.  I can't think that the calorie count is all that low, but it looked good so we tried it.  The idea came from Ice cream and frozen desserts by peggy fallon.  It is one of the books I checked out of the library.  I did modify it.  She roasted the pecans in the oven.  That gave me the idea to candy the pecans.  That is what I did and I really liked it.  The flavor was wonderful on this ice cream, but when it froze solid, it still had an icy texture.  5 star flavor, knocked down to 4 for not freezing nicely.    It is now my new goal to figure out how to make a good ice cream that will freeze without being icy.  This was super simple to make.  Minimal ingredients.

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 4 cups half and half
  • 1 10 oz jar caramel topping -I used a herseys that came in a larger jar.  Maybe not as thick, but added the flavor.  I just weighed 10 oz.
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • dash of salt (pretty sure I forgot this.)
Directions
  1. Place the pecans in a small frying pan.  sprinkle with sugar.  Cook and stir over medium high heat until the sugar melts and sticks to the pecans, making the candied.  Remove from heat.  Cool.  Place in a container in the refrigerator.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the half and half, caramel, vanilla and salt (if using.)  Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until very cold.  
  3. Pour into canister of ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.  Add pecans at the very end of mixing.  Transfer to a covered container and freeze until firm enough to scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails