Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cheesy spinach crepes with tomato alfredo sauce

I found this recipe at recipeshoebox.com.  I changed it a bit.  I doubled the crepes part and made my own alfredo sauce because I'm not a fan of store bought. If you like that, then check out the recipe at recipeshoebox.   I also just used crushed tomatoes rather than whole tomatoes because I keep crushed tomatoes on hand.  This was a toss up as to whether it was liked or not at my house.  Tavio loved it.  He thanked me for fixing cooked spinach.  Duncan hated it.  I was kind of in the middle.  Brandon thought they were 4 star.  His vote is going to win for our rating today.
These could be easily made and stuffed in manicotti or large shell noodles rather than making the crepes.  It was very saucy as well made like this.  The picture on recipshoebox did not look as saucy, however, I liked the sauce.  I poured it on my plate and dipped each piece in plenty of sauce.

Crepes Ingredients
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 6 Tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix until well blended, scraping the sides if necessary.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.  (We only started with 1/2 this much, so we had to make more.  We refrigerated the first 1/2 and not the second.  The second batch was runnier and bubbled more without the refrigeration, but still worked fine.)  
  2. Heat crepe pan over medium high heat until hot (water will sizzle.)  Pour 1/4 cup on crepe pan and quickly move around the pan to fill the pan.  Cook until golden on the bottom and dry on top.  I usually flip mine over to give the bottom a little browning.  This made 18 for me.
Crepe filling
  • 1 8 oz package 6 Italian cheese blend
  • 1 15 oz. carton ricotta cheese (I used fat free.)
  • 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Sauce Ingredients
  • 4 oz. cream cheese (I used Neufchatel)
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
Topping
  • 1 package smoked sausage (I used reduced fat, a 12 oz. package.  It wasn't a lot of sausage, but I didn't think it added a lot to the meal.  It actually seemed quite salty to me.
Directions
  1. Combine filling ingredients in a medium bowl
  2. Mix sauce ingredients in a blender.  (I actually heated the alfredo sauce in the microwave, but would just toss everything in blender if doing it again.)
  3. Place filling in each crepe and wrap up like an enchilada.  Place seam side down in a greased 10 X 15 pan.  Continue until all crepes are used (actually we didn't use 2 - we ran out of filling.)  Pour sauce over crepes.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  
  4. While the crepes are cooking, chop the sausage and pan fry it.  Serve on top of crepes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails