Saturday, September 11, 2010

healthy granola

OK, I lied when I said in the last post that my cooking had started with cookies.  I had forgotten that in the morning I had been out of milk, and I hadn't felt like much of the options I could come up with, but I had a recipe for granola I wanted to try, and I had yogurt, so I decided to try the new recipe.
I really liked how healthy it was.  So often with granola, there is a lot of added oil, or there are a lot of nuts or raisins, or sweeteners, and they can be quite calorie packed.  This one was mild on the calories.  Of course that is probably because it came from my healthy cooking magazine.  It wasn't very sweet.  I thought it was fine for yogurt because yogurt added some sweetness.  Not sure how it is with milk because I haven't tried it yet.

Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (I used fresh rolled oats)
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used light)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted (I didn't use toasted -more on that later.)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds and coconut. (The original recipe had you add the coconut at the end.  I just didn't toast it at the beginning and added it here.  Much easier in my opinion, and I think it stays put in the granola better if added before the sauce.)  In a small saucepan, combine the apple juice, syrup, oil, cinnamon and salt.  Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until heated through.  (It boiled way before 3 minutes, and since it said until heated through, I just took it off when it boiled.)  Remove from heat.  Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat.
  2. Transfer to a 15 X 10 inch cookie sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 or until crisp, stirring every 10 minutes.  Cool completely.  Stir in raising.  Store in an airtight container.  (I just put mine in a ziplock.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails