Tuesday, September 14, 2010

raspberry ice cream

This was a wonderful find.  The ice cream itself is only OK to me, but what I loved about this recipe was that it was a makeover recipe from my taste of home healthy cooking magazine.  They took a regular ice cream and tried to reduce the fat but keep the creaminess.  What I liked the most is that they explained some things I thought were interesting before the recipe, so I will share the 2 bits of information I liked.
First, they said that large ice cream companies put maltodextrin in low fat foods to give it a better mouth feel.  Since you can't go out and buy maltodextrin on your grocery store shelf, they have you put fat free sour cream because it contains maltodextrin.  The other thing they have you add is pectin through the apple jelly because it too is supposed to help improve the texture of low-fat recipes.  By doing those 2 things and replacing cream with half and half and whole milk, they cut the fat in this recipe.
I have to say it did have a much better mouth feel.  I had fiddled with a recipe last week exchanging cream for half and half and hoping since it still had a lot of fat plus 4 egg yolks that it would turn out ok.  However, it turned out pretty icy, so I was happy to find a possible solution to this problem.  Now I have to experiment more with it.
I did cut the sugar as well subbing out 3/4 cup of the sugar with splenda.  Not sure if that made a difference in texture or not.  The texture was wonderful soft serve.  When the ice cream froze, it was a little bit hard, and scooped a bit different, but it still had a good creamy mouth feel when you ate it.  Like I said, I'm going to be doing some experimenting with ice cream flavors.  Yum.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups half and half
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar (I used 3/4 splenda, 1/2 sugar)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
  • 1 Tablespoon apple jelly
  • 3 cups fresh raspberries (I used frozen and just let them thaw)
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon for me.)
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, heat cream and milk to 175;  stir in 1/2 cup sugar and salt until dissolved.  Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg.  Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.  Cook and sir over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened.  
  2. Remove from heat.  Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water (I actually put mine in a bowl and but the bowl in a bowl of ice.)  Stir for 2 minutes.  Sir in sour cream and jelly.  (I whisked it in.)  Press waxed paper onto the surface of the custard.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
  3. Meanwhile in a smal bowl, gently combine raspberries with lemon juice and remaining sugar.  Let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.  Mash raspberry mixture slightly; stir into custard.
  4. Fill ice cream mixer 2/3 full;  (this is important or it won't have room to whip air.  I thought it looked a bit empty, but it quickly filled up.  I had left over custard which I need to go and freeze.)  Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.  Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.  When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails