Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cinnamon roll muffins

I guess I'm on a cooking spree - I don't usually do a new breakfast and dinner, but this is my third day in a row for a new breakfast.  This is yesterday's meal.  I was excited to try these because I love cinnamon rolls but don't like waiting for them to rise.  It takes too long for breakfast.  So I had high hopes for these muffins.  However, the dough ended up being so sticky that it was super hard to roll and ended up taking me 40 minutes prep.  I would rather have made cinnamon rolls.  Then they ended up dry.  I had added an extra 2 tablespoons of flour or so because the dough was sooo sticky and I usually roll my bread out on a greased counter now, not floured, so I figured it was ok to compensate for the kneading and rolling on a floured surface by adding those 2 Tablespoons.  However, it was still super sticky.  I still ended up putting down flour to cut the rolls, and they turned out a bit dry.  The flavor was fine, they were just a bit dry.  Also, the instructions say to roll them out to this huge size rectangle that makes them way thing.  I think that was part of the problem with rolling them.  It doesn't look like the person at taste and tell where I found this recipe, rolled them nearly as thin.  I bother posting because while they had their problems, they also had potential.  I like the idea of rolling out the dough for a muffin, but it needs some work.  I will probably try them again adding less flour, and rolling them out on a well floured surface to see if that changes things any.  I'd probably also not roll them so thin.
Feel free to try them with those suggestions.  If you do, let me know how they turn out.  I'll update when I try them again.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup buttermilk, or 1 cup milk with 1 T lemon juice or vinegar added to it (I actually used 1 cup water with 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered buttermilk because mine was bad.)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar  (I made some with white sugar and molasses again)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour

Filling:



  • 2 TBL butter, room temperature
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar (I think I used 1/3 cup brown and 1/3 cup splenda)
  • 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I think I upped this to 1 teaspoon)

Icing: (if desired - I didn't use any)



  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp milk or cream

Directions

  1. Pour milk into a measuring cup and add the lemon juice or vinegar. (Skip this step if you are using buttermilk.)
  2. Measure the brown sugar, baking soda, salt, vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the milk. Add the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or two.
  4. Roll the dough into a 12-inch by 24-inch rectangle. Spread with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
  5. Roll the dough into a log beginning at the wide side. Stretch the log slightly. Cut into two-inch pieces and put the pieces into greased muffin tins or muffin tins lined with cupcake papers.
  6. Bake at 375°  for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes and then remove from the muffin tins.
  8. Drizzle with icing (if using) when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails