Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fettuccine alfredo with chicken

I found this recipe a few years ago in a food Kraft food and family magazine.  I am not a fan of fettuccine alfredo, never have been, but I liked this version.  I actually remember using this recipe as a base for another recipe that called for a jar of alfredo sauce.  Today it seemed a little lacking in Parmesan flavor (can't believe I'm the one writing that, but it is true.)  I'm thinking it is because I used the shredded Parmesan and not the Grated powdery stuff.  I should have added more.  Still going to rate it highly because I know when I made it in the past with the right type of Parmesan, it was wonderful.  Oh, did I mention it is lighter than most alfredo sauces as well?  Extra added bonus.  Here is my adaptation..

Ingredients 
  • 1 lb fettuccini, uncooked
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips (I used pre-cooked)
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 3 Tablespoons flour 
  • 1 8 oz package Neufchatel cheese, cubed  (Next time I think I just add this softened and kind of stirred up a bit.  I had problems when it was added to the sauce with it being lumpy and not wanting to mix with the chicken broth.)
  • 6 Tablespoons (3/8 cup) grated parmesan cheese, divided (If using shredded, definitely add more.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions
  2. Meanwhile, cook chicken in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray (Unless using pre-cooked like we did.)  Remove from skillet.  Mix broth and flour in same skillet.  Stir in Neufchatel cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan (probably 1/2 cup of the shredded stuff) garlic powder and pepper.  Cook 2 minutes stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.  Stir in chicken.
  3. Drain pasta.  Add to skillet full of sauce.  Stir to coat.  Serve with the remaining Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.  (Can also add parsley.)

I served this with a quick Caesar salad that I made with chopped lettuce, tomato, sliced olives, croutons, parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing.  Yum!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails