Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Louisiana Red Beans and rice

Yet another recipe with picture and no typing.  This on is from a taste of home magazine.  It was pretty quick and easy.  A bit of veggie chopping, but not too bad.  I think I chopped mine in the food processor.  I know I was worried about the red pepper flakes in this, but they ended up being fine.  Just right in spice.  A little kick, but not so much that the kids wouldn't eat it.  That is what I remember at this point.  I really should learn not to get so far behind.  :)

Ingredients
  • 4 cans (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 package (14 oz) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
  • 1 cup chicken broth (I used stock)
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped (I think I used 2 red)
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 green onions, chopped (oops, forgot these)
  • Hot cooked rice
Directions
  1. In a 4-quart slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients.  (everything but the green onions and rice)  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (I surely ended up doing mine on high for 4-5)  Stir before serving.  Discard bay leaf.
  2. Serve over rice with green onion sprinkled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails