Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Italian Bread Salad

This was actually last night's dinner, but I didn't like it much, so I wasn't too enthused to post about it.  The meal was actually a chicken marinara.  Sounds good right?  For some reason, the chicken was awful.  I don't know why.  Maybe because it was only pan fried in a little oil and then finished cooking in the marinara.  I even used my recipe for marinara because I know I love it, but it did nothing to help the chicken.
 Anyway, it was served alongside a salad that was delicious.  That I will post.  It was a basically a cucumber tomato salad with vinegar dressing served on top of a lettuce leaf.  Yum.
Both recipes came from simple and delicious magazine (although I didn't follow the chicken recipe much.)

Ingredients

  • 4 slices Italian or French bread (1 in. thick)  (I just used 2 bolillos and cut them in 3 slices each)
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided (I used 1 and used spray butter rather than the other.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic + other seasonings mix (I added this)
  • 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 medium cucumber seeded and chopped
  • 2-3 green onions, sliced
  • 2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan chesse
  • lettuce leaves
  • 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 glove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
Directions
  1. Brush both sides of bread with 1 Tablespoon oil (or spray with spray butter-I use some that is light.)  Sprinkle with garlic mix.  Place on a baking sheet.  Broil 4 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.  Cut into 1 inch cubes.
  2. In a large bowl whisk vinegar, garlic, basil and 1 Tablespoon oil.  Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onions and cheese. and toss.  Just before serving, toss in the bread cubes.  Serve in lettuce lined bowls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails