Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Plum good pork chops with broccoli slaw

I'm on a simple and delicious week, so this is another recipe from there.  It was pretty simple and it was tasty.  Even using a thermometer I thought the meat was a tad overdone.  I think I will have to start checking my meat a few degrees earlier.  Other than that the meal was great.  I had worried about the broccoli slaw because when I tried it in a recipe before it was not cooked.  I did not like it at all.  However, cooked in the yummy plum sauce it was much better.  Still probably not my first choice of a vegetable, but oh so much better than raw.  The pork was probably 4 star, the veggies only 3 - evens out to a 3.5

Ingredients

  • 4 pork loin chops (they called for bone in, but I used boneless)
  • 2 teaspoons canola oil (I didn't measure, and probably used a tad less)
  • 3/4 cup plum sauce (I did measure, and it was the entire 8 oz. bottle)
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic/ginger (from a jar - or 2 cloves garlic, minced &1 tsp minced fresh ginger)
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 package (12 oz.) broccoli coleslaw mix
  • 1 medium carrot, grated (I julienned it in my bosch)
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (I didn't measure or toast these, just sprinkled them on straight from the jar.)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, brown chops in oil.  Meanwhile, combine plum sauce, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic/ginger, mustard, and pepper; pour over chops.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.  (I just stuck a meat thermometer in mine and simmered until it hit 160.  It wasn't 15 minutes, but I had cut my pork chops thinner.)  Remove pork chops and keep warm.  Remove 1/2 cup sauce mixture and set aside.
  2. In the same skille, cooke the coleslaw mix, carrots and onions over medium heat until crisp-tender.  (I didn't time this, and was perplexed how to know if they we crisp tender while they were swimming in plum sauce, but it seemed like I cooked them about 5 minutes or so.)  Serve with pork chops.  Drizzle with reserved sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails