Monday, September 6, 2010

Adventures in Sausage making


We've had the meat grinder attachment to the Kitchen Aid mixers for about 10 years now.  After being gifted a book on sausage making last year, I finally decided to make my own homemade sausage.  The biggest problem, is trying to find sausage casings.  No supermarkets carry them, and I have tried some butchers, but they were either not located there or did not have any.  There are a couple of places online, but I am still trying to find someplace near by.

Italian Sausage:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/italian-sausage-recipe/index.html



  • 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seed


  • 2 teaspoons salt


  • 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper


  • 2 pounds pork butt diced into 1/4-inch pieces 



  • Toast the fennel seeds, then I ground them in the blender with the salt and pepper.  Then mix with the pork, and put into the meat grinder with the fine plate.  Let the sausage stand for 2 hours or overnight.  Pan fry the sausage until done.  This turned out to be some of the best Italian sausage I have tasted.  The pork butt was $1.69/lbs., including fennel seed total about $1.75 / lbs., just a bit cheaper, than $3.99 /lbs.

    Danish Pork Sausage
    My good friend at work, Peter, is from Denmark, and he has a birthday this week.  Instead of just posting a lame birthday statement on Facebook, I decided to make him traditional Danish Pork Sausage.


    • 2.5 lbs Pork Butt
    • 2.5 tsp. Salt
    • 1/8 tsp. Allspice
    • 1 tsp. White Pepper
    • 1/8 tsp. Cloves
    • 1/2 tsp. Cardamom
    • 1/2 Onion, diced
    • 1/2 cup beef broth
    Combine the ingredients, and then process through the meat grinder.  Again I did not have sausage casings,  the mix came out a bit mushy.  It would have been OK, if the sausages were stuffed into casings; if I don't have casings, the next time I would not include the beef broth.  The meat when cooked had a purple tint, and was very good.  It went very well with the apple stata. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails