Saturday, September 25, 2010

Stuffed French toast

So, the other day I made some stuffed French toast from a recipe in my Hungry girl book.  She only coated hers with egg substitute, maybe a little cinnamon.  I also saw a recipe for Strawberry mozzarella French toast at Family fresh cooking.  But hers looked like it used mostly egg white for a topping.  I had really liked my hungry girl French toast except for it being too eggy, so today I made my own.  I had some buttermilk that needed to be used, so I decided to try a buttermilk egg dip.  Turned out wonderful.  I didn't start out making nearly enough because I wanted to make sure it worked.  Basically I used 2 part egg substitute, 1 part buttermilk plus some cinnamon and vanilla.  We tried a lot of different fillings to see what we liked the best.  Honestly they were all good.  We used Strawberries for all of them.  I would have tried some with jam, but we are out.  (on my list of things to do today - make lots of jam.)  We did try various cheeses.  We tried mozzarella, laughing cow spreadable swiss (light), and neufchatel (1/3 less fat cream cheese.)  Mozzarella brought the mildest flavor to the dish, but it was stringy and I liked that characteristic.  Laughing cow has a bit stronger flavor, and that was nice too.  I started sprinkling splenda on my strawberries here to be closer to the sweetness of the jam because this cheese  was super tasty paired with jam the other day when I tried hungry girl's version.  The cream cheese was delicious because I sprinkled a bit more splenda to make it feel like a cheesecake flavor.  I ate all without syrup.  Yum!
These range for me from a 4-5 star depending on the middle.  My favorite middle was probably jam and laughing cow, but I didn't have that today.
Here is a picture of the strawberry and mozzarella version.

Here is what I did the 1 time I did measure.  :)
Ingredients

  • Bread (I used homemade wheat -actually put my bosch to good use yesterday and made 4 loaves)
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • strawberries, sliced (or your choice of fruit or jam.)
  • your choice of cheese - we used mozzarella, laughing cow light, and cream cheese (though not all together.)
  • Splenda or other sweetener if desired (I put it in the egg mix for 1 when I hadn't put any on the strawberries, sprinkled it on the strawberries on the others, but I planned to eat them without syrup.
Directions
  1. In a shallow bowl, mix egg substitute, buttermilk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
  2. Put your fruit and cheese on your bread.  If using spreadable cheese, I put it on first, and put my strawberries on top of that.  With mozzarella, I put strawberries on first then sprinkled them with mozzarella.  If using spreadable cheese and jam, spread one on each side and put them together like a sandwich.  
  3. Dip both sides of your bread in the egg mixture and cook on a griddle or in a frying pan until golden brown.  (I found that 300-350 (probably a bit closer to 350) on my griddle worked well to get them golden in long enough time that the cheese got melted as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails