Friday, September 17, 2010

cookie dough truffles

I wanted to make these last week but had  no mini chips.  Today I  wanted to try the better than brownies cookies I saw today, but I have no unsweetened chocolate, so I made these.   I remembered these and that is what got picked.   I love cookie dough, so these looked wonderful.  I actually found the recipe on Jamie cooks it up, but she got it from Mel's Kitchen cafe.  I followed mel's recipe because she used a candy coating and that is what I had.  She used a semi-sweet candy coating, but I had only milk chocolate.  I wish I had the semi-sweet.  These were extremely sweet.  I probably should have made them smaller.  I used my cookie scoop and ended up with 3 1/2 dozen when they were supposed to be 1" and yield 5 1/2 dozen.  Anyway, tasty, but I would really want to make them a bit less sweet.  (Although maybe they are better this way, I can't pig out on them.)  
Note - Day 2 they didn't seem overly sweet.  Yum!!



Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups brown sugar (made my own w/white sugar and molasses)
  • 2 1/2 cups flour (original was 2 1/2 but I wanted them a bit stiffer)
  • 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (original was walnuts and optional but I like pecans)
  • 1 1/2 lbs chocolate candy coating.  (I had 1 lb milk.   When that got low I added 1/2 cup semi sweet chips and melted those.)
Directions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.  Add flour, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  Mix until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
  2. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. (Like I said, I used my cookie scoop.  Started off being generous, and made them smaller and smaller, but they were still bigger than 1 inch.) Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until nice and firm.
  3. Melt chocolate coating in microwave. (Mine came in a handy little tray and took 1 minute to melt.) 
  4.  Dip each ball in chocolate coating and return to the wax paper.  Refrigerate 15 minutes or until set.  (Honestly my first ones were solid by the time I was dipping my second dozen.  The dough was so cold that it froze my coating quickly.)  Drizzle extra chocolate over truffles if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails