Sunday, September 12, 2010

Easy cream cheese Danish

This is the third of my new breakfast recipes this week, and it is my favorite of the 3.  I've actually wanted to make them since I saw them a couple of weeks ago.  They were so good.  I loved that they were a yeast bread that didn't take forever to do a double rise.  The whole process took a bit over an hour, but that isn't all that bad for a bread.  I found the recipe at Jamie cooks it up.  Check it out over there.  She has lots more pictures than me, and they are great.  I'm just writing out simple directions that are easy for me to follow.
I used a loganberry jam that we had made that hadn't set super well.  We have it labeled as loganberry syrup. It actually was thicker than syrup, but definitely not jam.  Wonderful way to use that up.
I made the glaze for these because I like the way it looked, but I don't know that I would put it on again.  It kind of made it over the top sweet for me.  (OK honestly that was the third I was eating that was over the top sweet, but I still think I'd try it without the glaze.  Should have left a couple unglazed to try today.)
Another thing I liked about this recipe is that there were actually left overs.  Yum!

Update - I definitely leave these unglazed.  I've made them multiple times and only used the glaze the first time.  They are plenty sweet without it.  I also have used all wheat flour and half wheat, half white with good results.


Dough Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water 
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon yeast (I use active dry)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2- 4 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
Filling Ingredients

  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened 
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • dash salt
  • 1 cup berry jam (wanted to used raspberry, but I had a thin loganberry that I used.)
Glaze Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (I added another 1/4 teaspoon)
  • 2 Tablespoons milk (I actually needed a bit more)
  • 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
Directions
  1. In a large bowl or mixer combine sugar, yeast, and water.  Let rest for 5 minuts until bubbly.  Add flour and salt.  Mix and knead until smooth.  (I melted my butter and got my cookie sheet ready while my mixer kneaded the dough.)
  2. Pour the 2 Tablespoons melted butter in bottom of a cookie sheet.  Spread to cover. Set the dough on the buttered pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
  3. While the dough rests, mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, egg and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
  4. Press dough to the corners of the pan.  Spoon cream cheese mixture onto the dough and spread it around to the cover the dough.
  5. Warm jam in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make it thinner.  (Mine was already fairly thin so I didn't do this.  Spoon it evenly onto the cream cheese filling.  Run a knife through the cram cheese and jam to make a marble pattern.  
  6. With a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 12 large squares (3 X 4).  Then cut each square in half diagonally to make 24 triangles.  
  7. Let the dough rest and rise for about 10 minutes.  It should rise to be even with the rim of the pan.  (This took a bit more than 10 minutes for me, but not much.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until the top and bottom both get golden brown.
  8. Let cool for 10 minutes.  Recut into pieces with the pizza cutter.
  9. If making glaze, mix glaze ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth.  Put into a ziplock bag and cut a very small opening in the corner.  Pipe glaze on the danish and serve.

  






      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      LinkWithin

      Related Posts with Thumbnails