Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Chicken mango rice salad

I need to quickly blog this before I forget what I did.  I think this is my third post to start today, and I'm pretty sure none of them will get finished today.  Oh well.  That's life with 4 boys.  I found this recipe at Recipe shoebox.  Yet another great recipe from there.  I did do some modifying (which is why I'm a little anxious to post.)  Anyway, I cut the oil, added an extra lime, took out the salt, used stock instead of water and bouillon, etc.  Normally I would have used my pre-cooked chicken in this meal, but I was out, so I grilled up 3 large packages of chicken and chopped them so I could have some more.  Since I was waiting for chicken anyway today I used brown rice.  There was plenty of flavor with the lime and chicken stock that not even my picky (anti-healthier food) eaters complained about it being brown rice.  That is always a bonus.   Here is what I did.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups rice
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 medium onion, diced 
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  •  3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (I grilled mine)
  • 1 avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1 mango, peeled and diced (mine was enormous so I only put about 1/2 of it in the salad)
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice (juice of 2 limes -mine was closer to 4 T and I used a third lime)
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Directions:
  1. In a medium sauce pan, saute onion in butter until beginning to soften.  Add rice and continue sauteing until it has absorbed some oil.  Add the chicken stock.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer (20 min for white rice, 50 min for brown - using the brown rice, I ended up needing more liquid at the end.  I kept adding chicken stock, and at the end also juiced a lime into the rice while it simmered.)
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, pepper, and olive oil.  Add this and the rest of the ingredients to the rice and stir to coat.  (I had to put it in a large bowl.)
  3. I served this with additional sliced avocado and diced mango.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails