Friday, September 24, 2010

Crockpot refried beans

This recipe comes from my sister Karley.  It was nice that the beans in and of themselves were simple.  I made them into bean burritos, which ended up time consuming because I made tortillas, diced tomato and  red pepper, and chopped lettuce, but the beans were simple enough.
I found the beans to be quite strong in their black pepper flavor when eaten alone.  However, in the burrito with the veggies and some sour cream they were perfect.  Made a delicious dinner.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 9 cups water
  • 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoon pepper 
Directions
  1. Put all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for about 8 hours.  After they are done, drain all of the liquid out. (I started with a spoon but switched to my turkey baster.)  Reserve the liquid.  Mash beans with a potato masher.  Add liquid a bit at a time to desired consistency.  (Karley says to make them a bit runny because they thicken over time. - I actually didn't add any liquid back because whatever was left in the bottom of my crock pot after the turkey baster was done ended up seeming just about right.)

Bean burritos
  • tortilla shells (we used home made wheat and uncooked store bought)
  • beans 
  • red pepper, diced
  • tomatoes, diced
  • cheddar cheese (I actually used white and regular)
  • lettuce, chopped
  • sour cream
Directions
  1. Mix some cheese into the beans while they are still warm so it melts.
  2. Place beans on the tortilla shell.  Add more cheese, sour cream and desired veggies.  Roll up and enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails