Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuna casserole

Well, I'm actually posting this first because I just made it.  Hopefully I'll get the last 2 days recipes posted later this evening and actually be caught up.
This is my favorite Tuna casserole.  I've tried various, but this one continues to be my favorite.  Not sure if it is all the cheese, or the cream of celery soup in there, but I really like it.  It is the casserole I grew up with.  Unfortunately none of the kids here like it so we don't eat it all that often.  :(  I noticed I had never blogged it, so that means it has been at least 10 months since we ate it, so I feel no guilt in subjecting them to it again today.
I ended up making some changes.  Somehow the cheddar I bought for this meal got eaten with lunches throughout the week, so I only had a tiny square.  (should have thought of that as I sliced it up for lunch today.)  So anyway, I had to use mozzarella.  I didn't have regular potato chips, but I usually don't.  It is good that way, I just don't keep those on hand, and I don't usually buy them special for this dish.  I topped mine today with crumbled bread that I made yesterday.  (only with just Italian seasoning and garlic powder.)  Hopefully it will turn out well.

Ingredients

  • 1 package egg noodles.  (I used 12 oz.)
  • 1 can tuna (the small ones, but I have been known to double it - however, it makes the naysayers even more upset.)
  • 1/2 cup mayo (I used light)
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery (I used 2 ribs - a bit more than 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell peppers (I used 1/2 a pepper - probably would have used more but that measured 1/2 cup so I didn't chop more.  I used red today, but usually use green.)
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion - I used 1 Tablespoon dehydrated - out of onion (can you tell tomorrow is grocery shopping day?)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 1 cup grated cheese - usually cheddar but today a mix of white cheddar and mozzarella
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425.  Cook noodles according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, mix mayo, chopped celery, bell peppers, onion and tuna in a small bowl.
  3. In a small saucepan, heat cream of celery and milk.  Add the cheese and cook and stir until the cheese melts.  Stir in the tuna mixture.  Add that mix to the noodles and stir to coat.
  4. Pour into a 9X13 dish.  Top with additional cheese and crushed potato chips or breadcrumbs.  Bake for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails