Saturday, February 6, 2010

garlic herb bread

I had not planned to make bread today, but while running our 20 miles this morning, one of our friends couldn't make it after 13 because she was running with a cold and her lungs wouldn't work anymore. Needless to say we decided to take her dinner. I volunteered to take rolls, but then after my shower, DH decided to turn the water off so he could fix the sink. It somehow ended up lasting for a long time. I finally went to the back of the pantry and got water to drink, but didn't end up with time to make the rolls I had originally planned on, so I started looking through books. I found this braid in my Simple and Delicious magazine and decided to make it. It was super speedy, and very flavorful. I would never have thought to put dill with rosemary and basil, but it worked out great. I did double the batch. Didn't fit in my mixer too well. Had to add the last cup of flour by hand. The whole loaf is gone if that is any indication of whether we liked it or not.


Ingredients
  • 4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 pkg. quick rise yeast -(.5 oz total)
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tablespoon butter, meltes
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and seasonings. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and cubed butter to 120-130. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. (I would have let my kitchenaide do this if it would have fit.) Cover and let rest for 10 minutes
  3. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each into a 15-inch rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rest in a warm place until doubled (about 25 minutes)
  4. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails