Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cinnamon French Toast sticks with spicy cider syrup

This is my favorite french toast recipe. It comes from a Gold Medal recipe magazine/book I picked up ages ago. I had thought it was one of my betty crocker or pillsbury ones until I looked today. It is one of my favorites for breakfast. Mine is totally dilapidated. I only thought to get it out because in Trent's weekly e-mail to mom, he asked for a french toast recipe. I was happy, because this was a great breakfast. I ran completely out of regular flour while making the first batch, so the syrup and second batch were made with wheat flour that I had ground. They were still just as tasty, although I think the syrup usually thickens a bit more. I have to remember next time I make this to double it the first time though. Today I added more cinnamon to the syrup and less nutmeg and I liked that lots better than the way I usually make it.


French toast Ingredients (double for a family)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 10 slices sandwich bread, cut into thirds (I only used about 8)
Directions
  1. Heat griddle to 375. Grease with cooking spray.
  2. Beat all ingredients except bread until smooth. Dip bread sticks into batter; Drain excess batter back into bowl (I don't do this - probably why I only used 8 slices of bread.)
  3. Place bread sticks on griddle. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
  4. Serve with syrup
Spicy cider syrup Ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (I used 1/2 today and liked it better.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I used 1/2 of the 1/4 so 1/8 today and liked it better.)
  • 2 cups apple cider
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice (that was less that the 1 large lemon I squeezed)
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine (Oops I forgot this today -I was in a hurry trying to get this done before Tavio had to go to school. I usually put it in but I didn't miss it.)
Directions
  1. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg ina 2 quart saucepan. Sir in cider and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. (I didn't stir constantly today I was making the french toast - I stirred occasionally and it was fine.) Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails