Thursday, February 25, 2010

Vegetarian Chili with corn, sour cream and cheese

Ok, so this is what my sparkpeople lunch plan looked like today:

Vegetarian Chili with Corn, Sour Cream and Cheese; Grapes; Cornbread with Butter Spray
Cheddar or Colby Cheese, Low Fat, 2 ozAdded 98 1 4 14
Vegetarian Chili RECIPE, 1 serving (view recipe)Added 141 23 3 7
Grapes, 18 grape, seedlessAdded 34 16 1 1
Yellow Sweet Corn, Canned, 0.2 cupAdded 27 6 0 1
Cornbread, 0.6 pieceAdded 104 17 3 3
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Original Buttery Spray, 5 sprays, 1 servingAdded 0 0 0 0
Sour Cream, reduced fat, 2 tbspAdded 41 1 4 1

This is the recipe for the chili

Ingredients



  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
  • 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (I actually used 1 can petite diced for time and did not drain them.)
  • 2 15 oz. cans black beans, drained
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, chili powder, or chili seasoning mix (I used a dash of chipotle powder and a pinch of cumin)
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped

Directions:

1. Saute the onions and garlic in oil in a large sauce pan.

2. Add carrots, tomatoes, herbs, spices, and beans.

3. Cover (to retain moisture) and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.


Serves 6.

Nutritional Info

Fat: 2.9g
Carbohydrates: 23.0g
Calories:141.3
Protein: 7.2g

This is what I did - I made the chili - divided into 6 portions, added a little under 1/3 cup corn to my chili - stirred that in. I actually only added 1 oz. of cheese because that was kind of a lot, and I only added 1 Tablespoon of sour cream. I stirred both of those in - the cheese first so it was still nice and hot and melted the cheese. Anyway, it was surprisingly tasty. Not too spicy, but I was really sparing with my chipotle powder because I haven't used it much and don't know how spicy it was. I'd definitely make it again, and it was healthy too. I froze 1/2 of it in individual serving sizes. We'll see how they defrost. I'd give it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails