Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Asian Meatball Soup, baby carrots and dinner rolls

Recipe number 4 from my new book and still loving it. (Although looking at next week, I want to rearrange some things. Hmm. This was a super simple meal - especially today. You are supposed to make most of the soup the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I actually made it the other day when I made hamburgers and stuck it in the freezer (minus about 1/2 of the chicken broth.) I took it out last night and left it to defrost on the counter. (Had I been thinking about it I would have taken it out yesterday morning to defrost on the counter during the day and marinate overnight, but I was preoccupied with birthday stuff yesterday.) Anyway, today I just had to dump everything in the crockpot and turn it on. That gave me time to make some rolls.
I liked all parts of this meal. The soup was really nice with a peppery flavor, but not too hot. (I did cut out 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce. That was perfect for us.) However, after surveying the family, they didn't like it as well. Brandon only gave it a 2. Bummer. I wasn't the hugest fan of the meatballs, but I think they would have been better if I would not have frozen them and they would have soaked up more marinade.
Everyone was a huge fan of the carrot dip though and it was so simple. We ate the whole bag of carrots with most wanting more to use more dip. Only Tavio didn't like it, but he doesn't like mayo or sour cream or pepper. It would get 5 star.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
  • 2 teaspoons fresh garlic (from a jar)
  • 1/2 onion, sliced)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger (from a jar) (I used a ginger/garlic mix -2 teaspoons of that and 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
  • 1 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 60 ounces chicken broth (I used stock)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon hot chili sauce (tabasco - I used only 1 teaspoon)
  • 2 green onions
  • 10 ounces snow peas
  • 7 ounces egg noodles
Directions

The night before
  1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Form ground beef into tight 1 inch balls, placing into fully boiled water as you form. Set timer for 7 minutes after the last meatball goes into the water.
  2. While these are cooking, combine garlic, onion, ginger, pepper, soy sauce, chicken broth and chili sauce in the inner crock of the slow cooker. When meatballs are done, drain, and add to the slow cooker. Cover and store in the fridge overnight.
In the morning
  1. Put inner crock in the slow cooker and set on low.
In the evening
  1. make noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with hot water and set aside
  2. Slice green onions and add to slow cooker with the peas.
  3. Make carrot dip.
  4. Put noodles in bowls and ladle soup on top.

Cold Veggie dip
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise, light
  • 1/4 cup sour cream, fat free
  • 1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original seasoning

  1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with 1 lb bag of baby carrots for this meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails