Friday, February 19, 2010

Mexican Hamburgers

Day 2 of the new cookbook and I'm not disappointed. I made these hamburgers following the recipe for 1/2 of the beef and cutting out some of the spice for the other 1/2 as noted in the directions. I loved them as written. The flavor was great. I've never used chipotle seasoning as a powder before. I liked the flavor. I did make some home made buns for the burgers. I used a different recipe today, but that will be my next post.
Ingredients
  • 2 lb lean ground beef (I used sirloin and about 2.25 lbs)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning, salt free
  • 1 avocado
  • 1/3 cup salsa
  • toppings - cheese, tomatoes, red onion, lettuce, ketchup, mayo, salsa, ...
  • buns
Directions
  1. Preheat BBQ.
  2. Mix together beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and spices in a large bowl. (I added ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and cumin to the full batch, divided it in half, left 1/2 like that for the non-spicy people in the family and added 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle seasoning to the other 1/2 for the people who like more flavor. That worked great for my family. My non-spicy people still tried to tell me it was too spicy with just pepper. Silly people.)
  3. Form into 8 patties (I got 9 because I used a bit more meat. I have a scale and just weighed my meat out. They were 4.3-4.5 oz. each - nice 1/4 pound burgers.) Cook on BBQ until done (5-10 minutes on each side.) For cheeseburgers, add cheese on top of each patty for last 3 minutes of cooking.
  4. For last 2-3 minutes of cooking, toast the buns, cut side down on the grill. (I didn't even think to do this today. I didn't read the directions at all, just the ingredients. That would have been nice with the soft home made buns I made today. Oops.)
  5. To make a quick guacamole, mash 1 ripe avocado in a bowl using a fork. Stir in 1/4 cup salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails