Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tender Sour Cream Waffles

I was looking at breakfast recipes over on realmomkitchen yesterday. I really want to try donuts one day, but I don't need the extra calories right now, so I settled for a waffle recipe. I really liked this one. I doubled the recipe found on her website. But I didn't double the sugar or the oil. I did sub out applesauce for the oil I cut out. They still turned out delicious. Warning - use a big bowl if making this recipe. I'm writing it out how I made it which was a double batch with modifications. My first waffle stuck like crazy to my waffle iron, but the rest were ok.
I'd love to try her syrup recipe listed with the waffle recipe, but didn't today because I still had left over apple cider syrup from french toast sticks the other day.
The picture has 1/2 with peanut butter and maple syrup - my preferred way to eat waffles (although not the most beautiful picture) the other half is with the syrup I wanted to use. Yum.


Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon. baking soda
  • 1/2 teastpoon salt
  • 6 large eggs, seperated
  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cup2 buttermilk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
Directions

Heat waffle iron. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add egg yolks, sour cream, buttermilk, vanilla, oil, applesauce and blend well. In seperate bowl, beat eggs whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Gently fold egg whites into creamed mixture until no white streaks remain. Pour 1 cup of mixture into belgian waffle maker and bake until done. (1/2 cup for regular waffle iron. - my waffle iron actually takes 2 cups.)

1 comment:

  1. Made a 1/2 recipe of these with 3/4 cup wheat flour and the rest white. They were still quite yummy and not overly wheaty.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails