Saturday, February 20, 2010

Red Snapper with Pineapple salsa, pecan wild rice and asparagus

Loving this new book The Family Dinner Fix Easy, nutritious, and tasty. Not to mention not boring. This is 3 for 3 that I have liked, and this was fish that isn't my favorite. We did not use red snapper because we haven't tried it on our family of non-fish eaters and Brandon didn't want to pay what they wanted for it if he thought everyone wouldn't like it, so we used Orange Roughy. I really liked the pineapple salsa. It was more like a chutney. It was also more like an Indian dish because the salsa was spiced with curry. The recipe called for hot curry and I used mild. Glad I did, there was still plenty of spice. I liked the rice when I first tried it. It was tastier after I'd eaten the fish with the salsa because it pared with it very well.
Another thing interesting about this cookbook is that it is written left to right, or in columns. The ingredients you will use are right next to the directions telling you what to do with them. Wasn't sure I'd like that setup but I do. OK, enough about the cookbook. Here's today's food. She had you microwave everything. I didn't, and I'll write what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 can unsweetened pineapple tidbits (14 oz) -I couldn't find tidbits only chunks, and they came in a 20 oz can. We chopped them smaller and used them all.
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 Tablespoon hot curry paste (we used mild)
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 20 asparagus spears
  • 1 1/2 cups mixed rice
  • 3 cups water (I only used 2 1/2 in the rice cooker)
  • 2 Tablespoons peacans
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teasponn cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Original seasoning
  • 2 Tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs red snapper (we used orange roughy)
  • 2 Tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
  • 3 Tablespoons dry white wine
Directions
  1. Drain the juice and 1/2 the pineapple into a small saucepan. Finely chop the whole onion, but only put half of it in the pan. Add curry paste and stir. Heat on medium-low until reduced to thick salsa. Remove from heat. Add green onion, and the remaining red onion and pineapple. Stir and set aside.
  2. She steamed her asparagus in the microwave then reheated it at the end- I steamed mine on the stove in my steamer pot, but should have done this later. I left the lid on the steamer to keep it warm and kept it steaming resulting is soggy asparagus. Not so tasty.
  3. She also made her rice in the microwave - I did mine in my rice cooker. Combine rice and water in rice cooker bowl. Add chopped pecans, cinnamon, cloves and Mrs. Dash. Stir. Cook in rice cooker.
  4. Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan at medium high. Drizzle fish with lime juice. (Next time I think I'll just put it in a plate and then dunk the fish in it.) Sprinkle fish with spices and flour on all sides. (I just mixed the flour, basil, thyme, salt and pepper together then sprinkled that on the fish) Saute each side of fish for 1-2 minutes or until slightly brown. Add wine and reduce heat to medium. Cover for 2-6 minutes or until fish flakes through thickest piece with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails