Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Smoked pork loin in a pastry case


This recipe is from a book called German Cooking Today The original by DR. Oetker
I have to admit it had some strange directions. I will write my comments there as I write what I did. I accidentally used filo dough rather than puff dough, but I have done the reverse before as well. It turned out really well. Everyone loved it.





Ingredients
  • 10 1/2 oz. (5 sheets) frozen puff dough (I used about 7 sheets of filo)
  • 5 1/2 oz. frozen spinach (I may have used a bit more.
  • 1 lb. 12 oz pork loin roast
  • 3 Tablespoons oil (I used only about 1/2, and didn't need that much even.)
  • 2 shallots (for some reason I only bought 1
  • 1 garlic clove (used 2 since I was short on the shallots)
  • 2 Tablespoons butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • nutmeg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 Tablespoon milk
Directions
  1. Cover the dough and defrost at room temperature. Defrost spinach. Pat pork drie. Heat the oil in a pan and brown the meat all over. Remove to a plate. (I used the same pan and poured out the oil. There was more than when I started from some of the fat from the pork which is why next time I would probably only use about a teaspoon of oil, or just spray the pan.)
  2. Peel and chop the shallots and garlic. Melt butter and lightly braise teh shallots and garlic. Squeeze excess moisture from spinach and add to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes, seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg. (I just added a couple of shakes of each.) Leave to cool and then spread on top of the meat.
  3. Dust the work surface with flou and layout 4 sheets of dough. Roll out to form a single sheet. (I just laid my 5-7 sheets of filo on the cookie sheet I was going to bake this on.) I flipped my pork over so the spinach was on the bottom and the pork on the top and rolled my dough up over so the spinach would be on top when it was done. Fold the dough over the pork.
  4. Beat the egg yolk with the milk and brush over the dough. Cut out shapes from teh remaining sheet of dough and use to decorate the top. Brush the pastry shapes with the beaten egg yolk. Bake at 400 for 45 -50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails