Sunday, February 14, 2010

rice pilaf

This is from my food nanny cookbook as well. It seemed quite similar to her parmesan risotto. However, it was WAY too peppery. No one liked the amount of pepper in it, even those who like spicier foods. I like this way of making rice - sauteeing onions in butter, then adding the rice, and cooking the chicken in the broth, but I wanted more flavor or texture to my rice. I'd do this recipe again if I added diced carrots or something, and cut the pepper at least in half. Surprisingly - the baby ate it and would only eat this. Go figure. I had to mix the chicken in with rice to get him to accidentally get some chicken in him.


Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter.
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I'd reduce this next time.)
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper (definitely reduce next time.)
  • 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used stock)
Directions
  1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir until the onion is soft but not brown. Stir in the rice until it is well-coated. Add teh broth and bring to a boil.
  2. Cover, decrease the heat, and simmer until the rice is tender and teh liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I just had this recipe tonight and agree with you on the pepper but still pretty good for homemade pilaf. BTW I laughed when I read your blog description because it sounds just like us, hardly having the same thing twice. I was just thinking yesterday that I need to add my star ratings to each recipe. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails