Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicken pot pie


This is my mom's recipe and my favorite for chicken pot pie. I did change it a bit using chicken stock instead of the water and bullion it called for. It was still tasty, and all of the kids even liked it except the baby who wouldn't even try it.







Celery Pastry
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup shortening (I used butter flavor today)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons celery salt
  • About 4 Tablespoons water
Directions
  1. Cut shortening into flour and celery salt until crumbly. Add water a little at a time, tossing with fork until moistened.
  2. Gather pastry into a ball. Roll out 2/3 of the dough to fit pie plate. Use other 1/3 for pie top.
I added 4 Tablespoons water. It was still crumbly, but made a ball when I squished it together. It was a bit difficult to roll out, I probably should have used a few drops more water, but didn't want it not to be nice and flaky. It was good and flaky.

The insides of the pie
Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup four
  • 1 teaspoon onion flakes
  • 2 chicken boullion cubes (I didn't use this today)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 3/4 cup water (I used chicken stock today)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up (I used more like 3 cups)
  • 1 10 oz. package frozen peas and carrots (mine was a 16 oz. package and I used it all)
Directions
  1. Heat butter over low heat until melted. Stir in flour, onions, salt and pepper until smooth. Add water, boullion (dissolved in water) and milk stirring constantly. Heat to boiling and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly as it thickens. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables.
  2. Set aside. Prepare celery pastry; line pie tin with pastry and pour in chicken filling. Roll out remaining dough and place over filling. Fold under edges adn glute. Cut slits and bake at 425 for 30-35 minutes until browned.
I had no trouble with adding extra chicken and veggies, but I used a pretty deep pie pan. I did have a bit of trouble with the dough fitting. It barely made it to fill the pan. I didn't have enough to flute it. I just pressed the top and bottom doughs together with the tines of a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails