Friday, February 12, 2010

Enchilada lasagna

This is from a healthy cooking magazine. I actually did use the wheat tortillas it called for, but not ground turkey or fat-free cream cheese. It was moderately rated my my older boys - 3-4 star or 6 from one and 7 from the other on a 10 point scale. I'd give it a 4. I thought it was pretty good. I liked the creaminess the cream cheese gave it. I also liked the nice enchilada flavor without too much spice. Forgot to take my picture until we were serving seconds. Hence the dirty plate - oops.
This recipe came with freezer instructions which I included but did not try.



Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground turkey (I used my pre-cooked ground beef.
  • 1 large onion, chopped (I used a smaller onion)
  • 1 large green pepper, chopped
  • 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped (I used 1/2 a large)
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 10 oz. can enchilada sauce
  • 6 whole wheat flour tortilla (8 inch)
  • 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mexican cheese blend - (I used 2 cups of the regular fat)
Directions
  1. In a large skillet, cook turkey, onion and peppers over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain (I just heated my pre-cooked meat with the veggies until they were tender.) Stir in cream cheese and chili powder.
  2. Pour enchilada sauce in a shallow bowl (I used a plate.) Dip tortillas in sauce to coat. Place 2 tortillas in a 9 X 13 pan coated with cooking spray; spread with half of the turkey (or beef) mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. REpeat layers. Top with remaining tortillas and cheese.
  3. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months or bake, uncovered at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and cheese is meltes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Ser ve with salsa and sour cream if desired.
  4. To us frozen lasagna: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the frige 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails