Sunday, February 14, 2010

slow cooked caribbean pot roast

This is today's recipe. I've been wanting to try this all week, but kept forgetting to defrost my beef, nor did I seem to have time any day to get it in the crock pot in the morning. It has my curiosity because of all the spices in it. Can't wait to try the mix of flavors. This was quite tasty. I thought the sweet potatoes got a bit overdone, so I would make larger than 1 inch chunks next time. I also wasn't impressed with the meat being chuck roast. I think next time I'll use a sirloin. I've had lots better luck with sirloin lately. This just had a lot of fat and gristle. It gets a 6-7 star for today, but with a better cut of meat would be 8 or 9.




Ingredients
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
  • 2 large carrots, sliced (I used 3 medium)
  • 1/4 cup chopped celery (I used 2 stalks, but that was probably more than 1/4 cup.)
  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 1/2 lbs - mine was 3)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 large onion, chipped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minces
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamin
  • 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking cocoa
  • 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
Directions
  1. Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5 quart slow cooker. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
  2. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, seasonings, orange peel and cocoa. Stir in tomato sauce; add to skillet and heat through. Pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails