Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Taco soup

I tried a new taco soup recipe today.  It made me realize that we haven't had taco soup in ages.  We used to rotate it in every other month or so because it was simple and yummy.  I don't even have it on my blog, so we haven't had it in a long time.  I prefer my other taco soup to this one, but this one wasn't bad.  It was tasty.  I had used a mild taco seasoning packet, and I think I should have used a regular one, but it was still fine.  It was simple and it was good.  What I really liked was the salad that was paired with this recipe in my simple and delicious magazine.  Since I liked the salad more than the soup, I'm going to make a separate post for it.
The great thing about this soup is that everyone seemed to like it.  I'm noticing a pattern here - both soups this week, everyone has eaten very well.  Hmm.  Maybe I should make more soup.  I just find it hard to want to make soup in the summer.  Brandon had just been asking for soup for a couple of weeks now.  Should listen to him more often I guess.  :)
This soup was super simple and quick.  (even quicker if you have precooked beef) I thought it was unusual because none of the canned foods it used were drained.  I think this is the first recipe I've added an undrained can of corn to.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I only used 1 and it was still fine.)
  • 1 envelope taco seasoning.  
  • 2 cans (15.25 oz) whole kernel corn, undrained
  • 2 cans (15 oz.)  Ranch Style beans
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • Crushed tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or flour tortillas for sides or toppings
Directions
  1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain (Or use precooked)  Stir in the taco seasoning, corn, beans and tomatoes.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.  (I actually didn't cover it because I thought it had plenty of liquid and didn't mind if some boiled off.) 
  2. Ladle soup into bowls.  Serve with your choice of toppings.  We used tortilla chips and shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.  One son added sour cream as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails