Friday, August 27, 2010

Cider pork chops, asparagus with mushrooms, and broiled blueberry dessert

Yesterday I started my first the meals with an added dessert.  All of it turned out really well except for the fact that I overcooked my pork trying to get my dessert ready before dinner.  I do not suggest that. :)  Other than that, all of the food turned out wonderful.  I liked the flavor of everything.  I made some minimal changes from the original recipes (which came from my Simple and Delicious magazine.)  Mostly I just upped the amounts of everything to make 6 servings, but I also added some splenda to the sour cream in the dessert, and cut the ginger in half for the veggies.  I'm actually writing all 3 portions of the meal down so that I can try and combine the directions the way I did things to make the meal go quickly.  If the meat would not have been overdone it may even have been a 5.  Veggies were about 4-4.5, blueberries - 4 -I loved the sour cream mix on top, but was wishing it was a different fruit.  The blueberries were very tart.  I think it would also be wonderful with raspberries or another type of berry.












Pork Ingredients
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • just under 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 6 pork loin chops
  • 1 Tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 cup sliced celery  
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 1/3 cups apple cider or juice (could probably cut this down to 1 cup)
Asparagus with mushrooms Ingredients
  • 1 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger (I actually used minced ginger from a jar)
  • 2 Tablespoons canola oil (I used more like 1 1/3-1 1/2)
  • 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (that was 1 package)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Broiled blueberry dessert ingredients
  • 3 cups fresh blueberries (I used 2 containers -probably more like 4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used more like 3/4 cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon splenda
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (I didn't measure this.)
Directions
  1. (Pork) In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper.  Add pork chops and toss to coat.  In a large skillet, brown chops in oil.  Remove and keep warm.  In the same skillet, saute the celery, onions, garlic & thyme for 2-3 minutes or until crisp tender. (Meanwhile chop your asparagus - I actually just snap it. It is quick and easy.)    Return pork to the pan.  Add cider.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160.
  2. (Asparagus) While the pork simmers, saute asparagus and ginger in oil in a large wok or skillet for 2-3 minutes.  (Meanwhile, Stir the splenda into the sour cream.)  Add the mushrooms, salt, sugar and pepper.  Cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.  (Can begin dividing blueberries between 6 custard cups while this sautes).  
  3. (Berries) Place  6 custard cups on a cookie sheet. Divide blueberries among cups.  Spread with sour cream mixture (about 2 Tablespoons on each); sprinkle with brown sugar.  Broil 4-6 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes or until bubbly and sugar is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails