Friday, August 20, 2010

Pecan chicken with rice pilaf

This recipe comes from my Taste of home Healthy cooking magazine.  It was paired with a green rice pilaf on the page.  While the rice looked good, it didn't seem to go with the chicken so I made up my own rice pilaf with flavors I felt matched the chicken.  For the most part I followed the recipe of the chicken.  I just simplified things a bit.
I'm still a silly person, and even though I picked a nice looking piece of chicken for my plate for a good photo, I forgot to take the picture.  I did remember before I put left overs away and got a quick picture of one of those still on the cookie sheet.












Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup fat free milk
  • 3 slices light bread (I used wheatwhite) toasted
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I had 4 which weighed 2 lbs.  I cut each in 1/2)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350.
  2. Place bread, pecans, cheese, oregano, basil and garlic powder in a food processor.  Process until nice and crumbly.
  3. Place milk on one plate and crumb mixture on anther plate.
  4. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet.  Dip chicken in milk, then roll in crumbs, and brown in oil. (No need to fully cook, just brown it nicely.)
  5. Remove from pan and put on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until juices run clear.
Rice pilaf
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 2 cups chicken stock (I actually added a lot more)
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.  Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until lightly brown.
  2. Add broth, garlic powder and Italian seasonings. Bring to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.   (I forgot to turn mine down, boiled out all of my liquid and had to add quite a bit more chicken stock, but it still turned out fine.  Just a warning - don't get busy with the rest of dinner and neglect the rice. :)
  3. When rice is tender and done, stir in cheese and serve.  (I thought about adding some fresh Italian parsley, but didn't - dinner was already too late.  It would be a good addition though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails