Friday, August 20, 2010

Hamburger noodle bake

I can tell I've been on vacation.  I totally forgot to take a picture of this meal - even as left overs the next day.  I really liked it.  I liked the combination of cream cheese, sour cream and cottage cream in the middle.  I also liked the green peppers in the mix.  Of course Tavio wasn't impressed that I had added the bell peppers.  The recipe is from my recent Taste of home magazine, but I did some changing around.  It was originally sized for just 2.  I upped it for my family, added a bit of Italian seasoning, a few extra peppers...

Ingredients

  • 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (it could even use a bit more if you want more Italian flavor.)
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese (I used a breakstone 4 oz. cup)
  • 4 oz. cream cheese (I used neufchatel)
  • 1 green onion - white and greens, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 green pepper diced
  • 2 Tablespoons sour cream
  • 2-4 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (I just sprinkled some on top.)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Cook noodles according to package directions.
  2. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink.  Drain.  Remove from the heat; stir in tomato sauce, garlic salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.  In another small bowl, combine cottage cheese, cream cheese, green onion, green pepper, and sour cream.  (I did this while my meat and pasta were cooking.)
  3. Drain noodles; place 1/2 of the noodles in a greased 2 quart baking dish.  Spoon 1/2 of the beef mixture on top and spread evenly.  Top with all of the cottage cheese mixture.  Repeat noodle, and beef layers.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  4. Cover and bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails