Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wheat berry salad

Yet another recipe I picked, but then worried if I or anyone else would like.  Luckily I was pleasantly surprised. It was tasty.  I had seconds and DH did too, but I do have to say, the left overs are not calling my name.
This meal comes from a book I have called  healthy meals by Jonni McCoy.  A lot of her recipes will do something like call for 2 cups meat, or 3 cups veggies - with some suggestions of what to use.  This recipe was that way.  It called for 3 cups diced veggies with suggestion to use broccoli, carrots, celery, bell pepper, zucchini, eggplant, leeks, etc.  DH chose leeks.  I wasn't the hugest fan of the leeks but I think I probably overcooked them a tiny bit.  Other than that, the flavor of this dish was nice - a nice Italian red sauce flavor.  I doubled the original and of course adapted it.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup wheat berries
  • 4 cups water
  • 3 leeks, chopped (I only chopped the white section and barely into the green because I didn't feel like washing the dirt off each individual strand.)
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 5-6 tiny sweet bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes  (I may have used 2 cans - original was 1, and I wrote notes in my book of all my changes, but not that I used 2 cans of tomatoes.  Hmm.  Would be good with 2.)
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice (about 1/2 a lemon)
  • 4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Heat wheat and water in a sauce pan until boiling.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until berries are tender.  
  2. Meanwhile, in a separate sauce pan,  cover the carrots with water, bring to a boil.  Boil for 3-4 minutes then remove from the heat and drain.  They should still be a bit crisp.
  3. In a large skillet, heat butter and coconut oil over medium heat.  Saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is clear.  Add remaining veggies and continue cooking until veggies are desired doneness.  Drain the berries and add them while stirring.  Add tomatoes, lemon juice and seasonings and cook until heated through - 2 to 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails