Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Slow cooker tamale pie

I feel like a can food queen today.  I just made dinner and it was a ton of cans - no soup mixes or anything, just can beans, corn, tomatoes...  Then I made some jello and added 2 cans of pears.  Good thing about cans - they make for some speedy cooking.  :)
I found this recipe in my Taste of home magazine this month.  It won today because I know I have a lot of running still to do this afternoon particularly after the boys get home from their first day of school, so the slow cooker meal won.  It was originally planned for Tuesday (piano lesson day and thus slow cooker meal day) but piano lessons canceled this week.  Not a bad thing. :)  I'll have to rate it later, but decided it would be good to go ahead and blog it now while I have 2 minutes of sitting and waiting for the baby to fall asleep.
I did end up modifying this recipe - went with my 15 oz can of enchilada sauce not the 10 called for, so since upping the sauce, I added an extra can of beans.  I also did my normal switch of 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can diced green chilies for the 1 can rotel, and my other cans were larger than what was called for.  Not a bad thing to have extra food with boys right?
This turned out to be a bit too spicy for my kiddos.  The baby of course wouldn't even try it - I had hoped for him to try at least the bread, but no - he actually went and got out a cereal box and started helping himself to that (that is a first.  He usually finds something to pick at or fills up on milk.)  My 4 year old ate some, then went and took his plate to the counter (still with food on it.) I asked him where his plate was and he just claimed to be full.  I thought it was a bit spicy, but with sour cream, it was good.  I really liked the corn bread on top.
If making this again, I would go with the smaller sized enchilada sauce (don't think it needed so much juice.)  I would also probably leave out the chili powder altogether, and if making this amount, I'd be tempted to try doubling the amount of corn bread.
This is what I ended up doing


Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef (I used pre-cooked)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes (15 oz.)
  • 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
  • 1 can (15 oz.) corn, drained
  • 1 can (15 oz.) enchilada sauce
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (may have been a bit short here, but it isn't my favorite thing in the world.)
  • 1 pkg. (8 1/2 oz.) corn bread/muffin mix (I used jiffy)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
  • Optional:  Sour cream, additional cilantro
Directions
  1. If using precooked meat, defrost for 2 minutes in microwave.  Place in slow cooker.  Add cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper and stir. (If not using pre-cooked, cook hamburger in a skillet until no longer pink.) Add all of the canned items and the onions and ciliantro.  Mix.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.  (I can tell you right now, I'm leaving mine on for more like 4-5 hours.  I may turn it up for the last hour if I think it needs it.
  2. In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs.  Spoon over meat mixture.  Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  
  3. sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.  Serve with sour cream and cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails