Wednesday, February 17, 2010

southwestern stuffed turkey breast

This recipe is from a taste of home healthy cooking recipe cards booklet that I picked up at the grocery store. I'm actually on my second copy of that because I left my first one next to some beef I had defrosting and blood soaked through 1/2 of it. Since I had various recipes already chosen from that magazine and the ones I had tried were pretty good, I decided to go get myself a second copy. I wasn't disappointed with this recipe either. I did not buy a large turkey breast, but I think I would if I make this again. It would have been easier to roll. I just figured I'd use the chicken breasts I already had, and kind of thought of rolling them individually, but in the end I just laid the pieces side by side and rolled it as a group which was sloppy, but worked - it just wasn't particularly pretty. I really liked the mix of ingredients. I worried the crushed red pepper would give it too much spice, but it was fine.
I was also at the orthodontist with kids today for longer than expected so I just used some frozen diced onion and diced green peppers to speed things along.



Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in water - I buy the julienne cut ones.)
  • 2/3 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 small green pepper, diced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I didn't bother thawing)
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
  • 1 boneless skinless turkey breast half (2 pounds) I used 4 chicken breasts =2.5 lbs.
Directions
  1. Place tomatoes in a small bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes (oops I didn't cover them when they were sitting there.) Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons liquid; set aside. Meanwhile, combine the seasonings in a small bowl.
  2. In a large skillet, caute the tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in corn and 2 teaspoons seasonings; remove from the heat. Stir in breadcrumbs and reserved tomato liquid. Add lime peel to remaining seasonings; set aside.
  3. Cover turkey with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/2 inch thickness; remove plastic. Sprinkle turkey with half of lime-seasoning mix (I accidentally put all of it here -oops) Spread vegetable mixture to within 1 inch of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; tie with kitchen string. (Didn't do this either even though mine was separate pieces of chicken) Sprinkle with remaining lime-seasoning mixture. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; cover loosely with foil. (I just put mine on a cookie sheet and covered with foil.)
  4. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 15-30 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. (I only baked it for 1 hour. I checked it at 40-45 minutes and it was already at 148-155 so I uncovered it and cooked it a little while longer. I had NO drippings to even think of basting it with - not that I checked very often - maybe because I used chicken instead of turkey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails