Thursday, February 11, 2010

three-cheese manicotti

This is from the simple and delicious magazine again although I changed this one up a decent amount. It turned out delicious. Not to ricottaey. I'll write through the recipe my changes.


Ingredients
  • 12 uncooked manicotti shells - I used all 14 in the package but the last one was mozzarella
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (I used my pre-cooked beef)
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped (totally didn't even see this ingredient when making it)
  • 1 jar (26 oz.) three-cheese spaghetti sauce (I used some of the Marinara I had left in the freezer. It wasn't quite 26 oz. so I added an 8 oz can of tomato sauce with some added herbs to make up the difference knowing that the marinara was plenty flavorful because it was home made.)
  • 2 tsp. sugar (left this out on purpose - didn't see the need my marinara was tasty)
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. onion powder (I don't have this, and didn't use it thinking that I had onion in my precooked beef because I didn't even see I was supposed to add onion.)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar-monterey jack cheese (The store I usually go to had had no power last week when I went so I couldn't buy cheese, I went to a different store the next day, but they didn't have this blend so I bought mexican blend because I couldn't remember the recipe I was using it for and that blend included cheddar and jack cheeses along with asadero and something else)
  • 1 carton (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (I used 1/4 cup for the filling and topped the casserole with mozarella)
  • 1 egg
OK, my ingredients are entirely too wordy for myself to ever read again, so I'm rewriting exactly what I did unconventional as it was because it was tasty and I'd like to remake it.
  • 14 uncooked manicotti shells
  • 1 lb. ground beef (I used my pre-cooked beef)
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce with onion, garlic and basil (Maybe - the one with seasoning)
  • 20 oz. marinara sauce
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 cups shredded mexican blend cheese
  • 1 carton (15 oz) ricotta cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup mozarella cheese
  • 1 egg
Directions
  1. Cook manicotti according to package directions.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook turkey and onion until done, (or just add pre-cooked beef.) Stir in the spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder. (I simmered this while I combined the filling.) Place 1 cup meat sauce into a greased 9 X 13
  3. In a large bowl, combine the cheddar-jack sheese, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan and egg. Stuff into manicotti shells. (I used a plastic baggie and cut the corner off - note to self, use a stronger baggie -it sprung a leak and I did the rest by hand - not nearly as easy.) Place shells over meat sauce. Top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan (but I used mozzarella.) Cover and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. (Oops, I forgot to cover it. It still trned out ok. I also only cooked it for 30 minutes because I had hungry kids.)

  1. Drain manicotti. In a

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails