Friday, February 5, 2010

cheddar meat loafs

This recipe is from a taste of home healthy cooking magazine. I didn't follow the recipe exactly. I added more carrot - didn't care that my milk was 2 % not fat free, added more beef, etc. etc. I'm sharing it the way I made it. They were really wet for a meat loaf before cooking, but baked up ok. Everyone liked them, but I think that has a lot to do with the sauce on top. I served them with brocoli and a quick cheese sauce. Forgot to take a picture though. I think there was 1 left over. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.
Ingredients
  • 1 egg and 1 egg white (I had a left over egg white-original recipe was for 2 egg whites...)
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 medium carrots chopped (I chopped the onion and carrot pretty fine in the food processor)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound (I used a little over a pound - original recipe was only 3/4 lb)
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard
Directions
  1. In a small bowl, mix ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
  2. Shape into 8 loaves; place in a 9X13 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon ketchup sauce over loaves.
  3. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reats 160.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails