Saturday, February 20, 2010

Banana waffles

I felt like something different for breakfast after my run this morning. Got checking online and found this recipe for banana waffles on taste and tell, but they got it from cafe zupas. I had some bananas to use, so I decided to try it. I didn't follow the directions there at all - they had you puree your banana in the blender - why do I want more dishes when I can smash it with a fork? Anyway, I also added pecans and some cinnamon because it sounded good. They actually turned out better than I expected. I find that many waffle recipes are heavier than I like in my new waffle iron, but not the case with these. The cornmeal wasn't overpowering either. I kind of liked how it made the batter so yellow. In my large waffle iron, it only made 1 waffle - with a little bit of spill over that you can see in the picture. :)



Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ripe medium banana
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I used a bit less - maybe tablespoon and a half
  • dash cinnamon
  • 2-3 Tablespoons pecans if desired
Directions
  1. In a bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
  2. In another bowl, whisk together butter and eggs (I just barely melted my butter so it wasn't too hot for my eggs.) Add water and banana and whisk until well blended. (My banana was nice and ripe so I just smashed it with my whisk, but you may want to smash it with a fork in a separate bowl before adding it to the liquid if necessary)
  3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans.
  4. Bake in waffle iron. Mine only made the one, and I don't have to grease my waffle iron.
Serve waffles with syrup, but they are tasty enough plain to. I ate 1/2 of a square plain, then another square and a half with syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails