Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cheesy risotto

This recipe is from The food nanny rescues dinner book, only it is supposed to be with parmesan. We've had a lot of things with Parmesan lately and I didn't want another. I had some shredded Muenster, so I used that. I also didn't have a lot of Arborio rice (only 1/2 cup) so I used 1 cup regular rice and 1/2 cup arborio. It turned out fine - still creamy. I'd probably go with this option again since arborio rice is more expensive and I don't keep it on hand. This ended up being rather oniony, but I messed up and dumped the arborio rice in before the onions, so they didn't get well sauteed. I'm writing what I did minus my mistakes. It does vary from the original, but was delicious. I would definitely make this again, I would just make sure my onion wasn't as strong, and/or that I got it fully sauteed.

This picture has our whole meal fo rthe day. The pork, risotto, and plain canned cream corn (Tavio's favorite veggie.)



Ingredients
  • 5 cups chicken stock (I now switch stock for broth in almost all of my recipes. It has so much more flavor.
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I used 1 medium large onion)
  • 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (I used 1/2 cup arborio, 1 cup long grain)
  • 1 cup grated muenster cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • Parsley - I didn't decorate it and make it cute, but included this because it would make a nice presentation.
Directions
  1. Bring broth to boiling in medium saucepan. Decrease heat to low and cover the pan.
  2. Meanwhile, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter in a heavy, large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion (not the rice - silly distracted me.) Cook and stir until very tender but not brown, about 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium. Add the rice. Stir 1 minute.
  3. Add 1 1/2 cups of the hot broth. Boil gently until the broth is absorbed, stirring frequently. Add another cup of broth; stir until broth is absorbed. Add the remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing to absorb before adding more. Stir frequently until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes. (I started covering mine at the very end to speed things along because my rice was still a bit cruncy and I was getting low on broth.)
  4. Stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons butter and the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails