Tuesday, February 23, 2010

raisin and pecan wraps and wheat tortillas

So last night it was decided by DH and myself that we are eating better. For me, that means tracking my food on sparkpeople.com. That way I can watch that I eat the right amount of calories, eat enough fruits and veggies, drink enough water etc. They actually will give you a menu for the day in your calorie range. Today's was a wrap that was yummy. They just listed the ingredients - no what to do with it or anything. In fact, I was actually supposed to have used the lettuce as a salad, not in the wrap because the title of the lunch was cream cheese, walnut and raisin wrap; salad and it had salad dressing included. I was only supposed to make 1 wrap, but that was way too much cream cheese for 1 wrap for me. I had my 1st wrap with the lettuce inside the wrap. I spread 1/2 of the cream cheese on the wrap, added the lettuce and sprinkled it with the raisins and pecans (I was out of walnuts.) I really liked it. I tried the second 1 without the lettuce. I'd actually saved more than 1/2 of the pecans and raisins so it would still be a good wrap, but I didn't like it as well. I took 1 bite, took a picture, opened it up and added the lettuce for the second wrap as well. I would definitely make this again. I'm always looking for something different for lunch. It is my most boring meal of the day for the most part.

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons cream cheese (I used Neufchatel)
  • .75 ounces raisins (1/2 serving or 1/2 small box)
  • .75 ounces pecans (original recipe was pecans)
  • 2 wheat tortillas (they had regular tortillas - 6 to 8 inch)
  • 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce (worked out to be 3 leafs for me.)
Directions
  1. Spread 1 Tablespoon of the cream cheese on a tortilla. Place 1 cup of lettuce on top of cream cheese. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the nuts and raisins. Roll up.

I had no tortillas when I saw this recipe on sparkpeople this morning, so I looked for a recipe for tortillas. Since I'm trying to eat healthy, I looked for whole wheat. I found a recipe in my King Arthur whole grain book. It was sooooo much better than the wheat tortillas we bought from the store the week before last. They were really wheaty. These were really nice. I did add a tiny amount of white flour -like only 1 Tablespoon because when I weighed what I had left already ground, it was 7.9 ounces. I didn't want to grind more for .1 ounce. I also rolled it out on white.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons (1 1/4 ounces) vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup warm water
They have snazzy directions in my book, but I just tossed everything in a bowl and mixed it by hand. Let rest for 20 minutes. Turn onto lightly floured surface (I actually put out a heaping tablespoon of flour because the dough was a bit sticky. Knead dough a couple of times. Cut the dough into 10 to 12 pieces. (I made 10 - 12 would have been very small -I actually weighed them. Nutrition information said they were supposed to be 37 grams. That made 10 and 1 tiny one, but I just divided the tiny portion out and made 10 40-42 gram tortillas.) Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
I have a cute little tortilla press/cooker, so I just stick my dough ball in it, flatten it, and it cooks right there. If you don't have such a nifty contraption, then you have to roll them out on a floured surface and cook them on a heavy, ungreased griddle over medium-high heat for about 1 minute each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails