Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oatmeal raspberry chocolate chip pancakes

I found this recipe over at recipeshoebox, my new favorite place - so many breakfast recipes.  I had every intention of lightening this by replacing at least 1/2 of the butter with applesauce.  However, after soaking the oats last night, I found that I had no applesauce, so I used all of the butter.  I called these cookie pancakes to my kids because the ingredients looked more like a cookie recipe - 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips (I doubled the batch.)  Wow.  At least there wasn't a whole cup of sugar.  :)  I made them like the recipe said, and they were tasty.  I do want to fiddle with this recipe some in the future though.  I want to replace some applesauce, and I'd also like to try adding rolled barley.  It is a harder grain, but I love it's flavor.  I think it would do well with the overnight soak in the buttermilk.
These were tasty.  All that butter made them have a nice crisp exterior.  The weren't too sweet either.  I still ate them plain.  I did taste a bite left over on a child's plate that had some syrup on it - they tasted like donuts - so maybe I should have been calling them donut cookies this morning.  :)  I also liked the texture of the soaked oatmeal in the pancake, but I had a hearty oatmeal because it was fresh rolled from oat groats.
I also need to note that this batter was very thick.  Original directions had me add all the flour, then the additional buttermilk.  I added both at the same time because the batter was thick.  My batter may have been thicker because I used fresh rolled oats, but I'm not sure.  I'll have to experiment with that as well.    I also found that to get them cooked all the way through, I needed to spread them out a bit, and I turned my heat down to 350 so I didn't burn them before they got cooked through.  Be warned, they took a bit longer to cook than a regular pancake.  I was trying to get them done for my middle schoolers and ended up cutting it close.
I'm writing this as the single recipe, but I did double it for my kids.  My 4 year old ate 3 1/2 pancakes and they were not tiny.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (divided)
  • 1 cup rolled oats 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I actually was probably about a Tablespoon or 2 short, but there were still plenty of chips.)
Directions
  1. Combine oats and 1 cup buttermilk and let stand overnight.  
  2. In the morning, stir in the eggs, then add the brown sugar and melted butter.  Sift together the dry ingredients.  Stir into oatmeal mixture with the rest of the buttermilk.  Stir in the raspberries and chocolate chips.
  3. Cook on a hot griddle or skillet (I put my griddle at 350) until golden brown on each side.  (As mentioned above, these did take longer to cook than my regular pancakes.  You also may want to flatten them out a bit so they will not be too thick to cook all the way through.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails