Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Striped strawberry/banana ice pop

So, as I posted a while back, I've been making a lot more smoothies lately - mostly green.  Somewhere I got the idea to freeze the left over smoothie into a popscicle - I think with a non-green smoothie because they sounded good - pina colada if I remember right.  Anyway, I have some very old ice pop molds - there are only 4, and I only have the stick part to 3.  I decided I wanted to make more ice pops because I could then control what went into them, and make them out of fruit rather than sugary syrup, sooo, for Easter, each of the kids got a different ice pop mold.  These are the ones we got.
      and I got a book.  From what I have seen in the book, I love it. Just what I was looking for and then some - going to make Tavio tell me even more I've turned into a health food addict, but Oh well.  It is good for him.
The book has chapters on fruit pops, veggie pops, yogurt pops, tofu pops, herbal tea pops, chocolate pops, and specialty pops.  I had Benjamin pick out a pop to try, and this is what he chose.  Of course it was one with Kale in it.  I was going to start with something simple like a plain fruit pop, but went for it with this one.  I did not have Kale so I used spinach.  I also added a bit of agave to the bottom part of the pop, and some strawberries.  I was afraid I wouldn't have enough mixture because the directions say it makes 4 (5 oz) pops, and I wanted to make 5 - but what I didn't know is that my mold is only 4 oz.  So, I had left over.  I would probably not make as much of the jam part again, or the other part for that matter.  The pops fill up fast. I ended up filling all of my star pops with 1/2 and half, and all of the orka molds with the bottom part, and I still had some left over which I figured I'll just use in my next green smoothie.  Anyway, this is what I did this time.
I have yet to try these, but Benjamin asked for a popscicle for breakfast and what was I to say -they have wheat germ, spinach and fruit -how can that be bad?   Then I fed them to the kids for snack and pre-school, but I was too busy to eat one.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped (mine were frozen and I chopped them in the pan as they thawed)
  • 4 Tablespoons agave 
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 cup water (I'd probably use fruit juice here next time - that is what I do to naturally sweeten green smoothies.)
  • 1 Tablespoon wheat germ
  • 5-6 strawberries
  • small squirt of agave (If using fruit juice, I'd leave this out.)
Directions
  1. In a small pot over medium heat, combine strawberries and agave and let simmer until the liquid thickens a bit and becomes jam like.  
  2. Pour a small amount of the jam inot the bottom of pop molds.  Let harden at room temperature (I put mine in the fridge - to hurry it along.)
  3. Meanwhile, combine spinach, blueberries, bananas, water, and wheat germ in a blender.  Puree until smooth.
  4. When strawberry jam is hardened, add spinach mixture, sticks (or tops of molds) and freeze.
These were a bit tricky to get out of the mold - not sure if it is the mold or the recipe at this point because I haven't used the molds enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails