Tuesday, April 19, 2011

wheat thins

Here are the wheat thins I mentioned in the previous post.  They turned out delicious.  Not quite as durable as the store bought type, and I didn't add the extra salt on top, so not as salty, but they had a great crispiness and wonderful faint vanilla flavor that made me eat a few every time I walked by them cooling on the counter.
batch 1 - cut into squares and then moved to a cookie sheet - + irregular edges = almost all irregular crackers
batch 2 - cut and baked on parchment = nice square crackers with a few irregular edges.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
  •  1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • optional additional salt for topping - I did not use it and they were still good - seemed lacking in saltiness, but made up for it with the hint of vanilla
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt and paprika) in a medium bowl.  Cut in the butter (I use my hands) until well combined.  Add the water and vanilla.  Mix until smooth.
  3. Divide dough into 4 pieces.  Keep other pieces covered while working with 1 piece at a time.  
  4. Roll 1 piece of dough onto parchment paper into a 12 inch square (dough should be about 1/16 inch thick.)  (Again, I recommend rolling straight onto the parchment paper.  It is hard to keep still, but easier to transfer the whole lot of crackers straight from workspace to pan.  It was quite tedious to move a ton of crackers onto the parchment 1 at a time, plus I always seemed to stretch the edges into weird shapes.)  
  5. With a pizza cutter, cut the crackers into 1 1/2 inch squares.  Mover the parchment onto a large cookie sheet.  Bake one sheet at a time for 5-7 minutes.  If some of the thinner ones brown to fast, remove them and return remaining crackers to the oven to finish baking.  (I did this a few times since I didn't trim up my square - I just baked crackers with an irregular shape - they were thinner and did bake more quickly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails