- 2 cups warm water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups unbleached white flour
- 2 scant Tablespoons (2 packages) yeast
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) Parmesan cheese -I used the powdery Kraft stuff for this because I thought it would incorporated better
- Combine water and 2 cups white flour in a mixing bowl (I used my bosch.) Add yeast, sugar, salt and oil. Whisk or stir together to make very liquid dough. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups white flour and 2 cups wheat flour. Mix with the mixer until smooth. Add Parmesan and Italian seasoning and mix until well incorporated.
- Cover and let rise 45 min to 1 hour.
- 1 16 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- dough from recipe above
- 1 8 oz package shredded mozzarella -2 cups
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I used the real stuff here - a triangle that I shredded)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (this was optional and I didn't have any, but I really wanted to try it. I think it would be delicious.)
- 20-30 slices turkey pepperoni coarsely chopped (I chopped mine with kitchen scissors)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425. Drain spinach in a colander. Press into the colander to squeeze out extra water. Pat with paper towels. Place in a medium large bowl.
- Add cheeses, pepperoni, garlic powder and a few grinds of pepper to the spinach. Mix together well.
- Take out 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Pour a little bit of olive oil onto one pan. (1/2 Tablespoon or so) Use your fingers to spread the oil all over the pan. Place 1/2 of the dough on the prepared pan. Spread it over the oil to cover the entire pan.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the wider bottom 1/2 of the crust leaving 1/2 inch border. Fold the top part of the dough over the spinach mixture. (At this point I turned the dough on the pan and kind of stretched it out a bit, pushing it a little flatter.) Use a fork to press edges of dough together. Poke the top of the dough with the fork a few times to allow steam to escape.
- Bake until crust is golden brown about 15 minutes (I may have done 20) Cut into slices and serve with sauce.
Crushed tomato sauce Ingredients
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (5 cloves)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. (I totally forgot the salt yesterday and it was fine. I also warmed it up for a minute or 2 in the microwave yesterday to use as a dip.)