Monday, April 11, 2011

quinoa and black bean burritos

OK, so our next healthy foods group will be on quinoa.  This is something I've wanted to learn more about.  I tried it once and wasn't impressed, but I think I overcooked it before.  After talking about quinoa with my friends a bunch lately and seeing a lot of quinoa posts on $5 dinner mom's website, I decided to give it another try.  This is what I tried.  The recipe is from $5 dinner mom's website.  For some reason I thought it wasn't going to make enough for my family, so I made about 1.5 times the recipe.  It was tons.  I think I'm going to freeze some.  I just have to decide if I want to freeze it as just filling or as burritos because I have tons of left overs.
I found this to be a bit bland.  It definitely needed the "guac de gallo" that she made to go with it, but even that was bland - no chili pepper - I added a dash of onion powder and garlic powder to give it some flavor.   On day 2 I didn't have any more of the avocado pico left so I put sour cream and taco sauce on them, and they were fine.
Here is how I made it - although I don't really suggest it unless you want a ton - probably better to click on the link and follow $5 mom's directions.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups quinoa
  • 3 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 can (15 oz.) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained (measured about 3 cups)
  • 1 Tablespoon cumin
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • tortillas and cheese for serving.
Avocado pico
  • 1 1/2 avocados, diced
  • 1 1/2 tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • dash cumin
  • juice of 1 lime
  • dash of onion powder
  • dash of garlic powder
  • dash of salt and pepper
  • cilantro (I totally forgot this, and not even on purpose - oops - add it if you like it.)
Directions
  1. Place vegetable stock in a pot with the quinoa.  Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.  Add tomatoes, beans, cumin, and lime juice.  Continue cooking until liquid has absorbed and quinoa is cooked (about 10 more minutes.)  Season with salt and pepper.
  2. To make the avocado pico, just mix all the ingredients in a bowl.  
  3. To serve, place quinoa and black bean mixture in tortilla, top with avocado mix and cheese.  Roll up and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails