- 2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1.5 Tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dehydrated red and green pepper mix (or use regular - I was just being lazy)
- 3 Tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons Adobo seasoning (would probably drop to 2 or 3 and up cumin next time)
- dash cumin (would up to at least a teaspoon next time.)
- a few grinds of pepper
- Soak kidney beans overnight or if you forget like me, just boil them and let them soak in the hot water for 2 hour. Drain and rinse the beans. Put them back in a medium saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and cook for 45 min to 1 hour.
- In a medium saucepan heat oil. Add the rice to the oil. Stir and let rice brown a bit (but not too much or it will pop :) Original had you add hot water to the pan and cook it. I moved mine over to the rice cooker, added the water and set it to cook while away.
- After the beans have cooked for 45 min - 1 hour, add tomato paste, bell pepper, onion, adobo seasoning and cilantro. Let beans finish cooking - 30 min to 1 hour (depending on when you added the extra stuff - I opted for a shorter time up front and longer later to be gone during the last part of cooking time.)
- Serve beans over rice.